Saturday, October 10, 2009

Breast cancer awareness

It's breast cancer awareness month and so far, I'm getting through it. I went to my annual doctor's appointment last week and I was reminded that this hell started exactly a year ago. I remember the panic I felt at the idea of a simple mammogram. I think I knew something was wrong, even if there were no symptoms. It's a year later and I'm a bit afraid to take stock, but here goes:

I'm alive and well as far as I know, but I look and feel different. I'm tired and no longer fit. I'm sad most of the time right now and apprehensive about the future. My hair is slowly growing back to something I don't recognize, and I'm waiting patiently for a new chest I won't recognize. I might look similar to what I used to be in a year from now, but I know I will never be the same again. It don't wanna dwell on it, but it's like something was broken and glued back together but the chip will remain. Now that's awareness.

No comments: